Almost every holiday celebration will prominently feature a dessert or pastry – or even a full blown buffet of sweets to indulge in after the meal. If you have the opportunity to contribute goodies for the gathering try adding applesauce to your recipe rather than using traditional cooking oil. Not only will you cut down on fat but you will cut down on calories too! The applesauce in your baked goods will keep your sweets nice and moist. No dry goodies like all the other times when you tried to skimp on the oil in efforts to encourage more healthy eating.
These Old Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies from Yummly.com are sure to be a hit with your family! If you have other healthy Thanksgiving recipes to share please do! It’s always fun to try something new for the holiday feast – even more fun when you know you’re giving your family and friends a more healthy option.
Stay Healthy & Fit
VEGAN OLD-FASHIONED SOFT PUMPKIN COOKIES
Recipe by Food.com Yummly.com
Prep Time: 20 min Total Time: 35 min
Servings: 36 servings
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 12 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 12 tsp ground nutmeg
• 14 tsp ground ginger
• 18 tsp ground cloves
• 12 tsp salt
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 12 cup brown sugar
• 12 cup margarine (vegan softened)
• 2 cups pumpkin (libby's canned)
• 1 tbsp applesauce
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease baking sheets.
3. COMBINE flours baking soda baking powder cinnamon nutmeg ginger clove and salt in medium bowl.
4. Beat sugar and vegan margarine or butter in large mixer bowl until well blended.
5. Beat in pumpkin applesauce and vanilla extract until smooth.
6. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
7. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
8. BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm.
9. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes;.
10. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
11. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
12. FOR GLAZE: COMBINE 2 cups sifted powdered sugar 3 tablespoons soymilk 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter or margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until smooth.
Approximate Nutritional Profile:
Protein: 1 gram
Carbs: 15 grams
Fat: 2.5 grams