We all know that being in a “normal weight” range or having an average BMI tends to be a good thing when it comes to our health. But if we are a bit overweight, getting back into what is considered the “normal” range can seem like a daunting and overwhelming task. But losing weight, even if it is just a little bit, is definitely worth it!
If you are currently overweight there are several health benefits of losing weight that you can begin to experience today. And I am not talking about having to lose 30 or 50 pounds. In fact, studies have shown that “health benefits resulting from weight loss are evident with a weight reduction as low as 5-10 percent.” To put that into perspective, an individual that weighs 200 pounds can benefit from losing 10 to 20 pounds.
If you are wondering what the health benefits of losing weight are, you can see a list of them below from Life Clinic.
Five Health Benefits of Losing Weight
- Prevents Heart Disease and Stroke. Heart disease and stroke are the leading causes of death and disability in the United States. Reducing your weight can decrease your chance of developing heart disease or having a stroke.
- Prevents/Helps Alleviate Type 2 Diabetes. If you are overweight, you are twice as likely to develop type 2 diabetes. If you have diabetes, losing weight and getting exercise can help you control your blood sugar levels and even reduce the amount of medication that is needed.
- Reduces Your Risk of Some Kinds of Cancer. There are several kinds of cancer associated with being overweight/eating high fat diets. In women, these include cancer of the uterus, gallbladder, cervix, ovary, breast and colon. Overweight men are at greater risk for developing cancer of the colon, rectum and prostate.
- Improves Sleep Apnea. Excess weight causes snoring or gasping for air during sleep which lead to low levels of oxygen and interrupted sleep.
- Reduces Osteoarthritis. Reduction in weight will alleviate the aches and pains that are experienced from being overweight.
Health Talk also notes some of the physical benefits from weight loss, such as…
- Having more energy
- Sleeping better and waking up feeling rested and in a good mood
- Having fewer aches and pains
- Improved ability to move and get around
- Finding it easier to breathe
- Improved immune system
Sounds great right?! You can experience these health benefits from weight loss too! Below are a few tips to help you get started today.
Weight Loss Tips
- Keep track of your nutrition and eliminate any excess “junk food” or unhealthy snacks you may have in your diet.
- Increase your activity. It’s a great way to burn extra calories and improve heart health.
- Add sugar-free and calorie-burning Celsius to your routine. It’s a proven way to burn fat and boost your metabolism. In fact, drinking a Celsius provides the calorie burn that is equivalent to running a mile.
- Stay hydrated. It will expand your stomach and help keep you feeling full for a longer period of time. Many times you may be thirsty but we tend to confuse the hunger and thirst signals.
- Get enough sleep. This will help you feel energized throughout the day so you can remain active. Aim for a restful night’s sleep of about 6-8 hours.
So what are you waiting for? By incorporating these simple tips into your daily routine, you will be well on your way to experiencing the health benefits of losing weight for yourself.
We would love to hear your weight loss tips and strategies in the comments section below.
Check out our blog for more Healthy Living Tips from Team Celsius.